For the last 6 months I have struggled with writing on the blog. Self doubt took over anytime I thought about a post idea. I'm not sure where the feeling began but it took over pretty quickly and I didn't write much.
One car ride home from work in the middle of my dilemma I heard NPR's series Three Books... which was '3 Books on Writing Well.' I perked up in hopes that there might be a book for me. Stephen King's book On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft was featured and this had to be a sign. Stephen King is a favorite author of mine. My summers during my teen years were spent devouring his books. In fact during a recent bookstore trip I happily discovered one of his books that I haven't read; it's on my list!
But back to my dilemma, I enjoyed the book and recommend it. I will read this again in the future. One piece of his common sense advice "write a lot" spoke to me; and I realized that as I wrote less, the less confident I had became.
This brought me to my decision to give myself the 39 Day Birthday Challenge. No longer do I have time to think and rethink my ideas. All I can do is write.
No comments:
Post a Comment