XXIV Branching Out

I am a creative person.
There is a desire to create, design and make new which extends beyond sewing.
I am part of a large family full of creators and I encourage my children to create.  The benefits to creating are vast and numerous and therapeutic.

Early in my career I was a recreational therapist.  My first job as an RT was at a VA Hospital where I worked with vets who had a wide range of problems.  One aspect of my job was to host an open craft time.  Twice a week the auditorium was opened up, the mood was set with smooth jazz , supplies and craft kits were provided for anyone to create.  I provided assistance when needed and managed the kits.  For 2 years I was responsible for creating this environment.  It was a good time.  It impacted my life both professionally and personally.   

I don't remember the names and the faces have blurred but the feelings they shared stay with me.  I loved sharing in their joy, celebrating a finished project, experiencing the quietness of creative calm, encouraging them to take chances. 


Where am I headed with this one? 
I'm drawing  again.  I stopped drawing after my last art class in college.  My husband and kids are amazed that I can draw.  Guess it was a hidden talent.  About a year ago I was moved to start up again. I bought myself a new pad of paper and new colored pencils and brought out some pens.These travel with me to kids lessons or rides in the car or sitting in the backyard.  I have been enjoying doodling.  Things may head in a different direction but I'm enjoying what is happening at the moment.

I've stumbled upon a new to me blog The Sketchbook Challenge and found some inspiration to get this started below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment