XI S2255

I sewed this shirt last year and it debuted in the Cancun pictures.  Again, like most of my sewn garments I never posted on PR or blogged about it.  This was inspired by Boden's ruffled button down sleeveless shirt.  The shirt is no longer on line, but it was featured last summer and it may have ended up in this year's summer catalog too.

Originally this was going to be a sleeveless top but during decision time I was enticed by the cap sleeve on the pattern sheet and decided to add this.  I have regretted this since then.  The cap sleeves left me feeling a bit flying nunish.  The photo below you can see best on the the photo left side how badly it just sticks out.



If you look at View D below you can see that there is a nice downward curve.  Maybe I was expecting too much but I have wanted to make a fix since then.

I decided this weekend after wear the shirt again I was going to make a change.  I figure if this quick fix doesn't work for me then my last resort will be to remove the sleeves.  After a few wears I'll see how comfortable I am in this.

I added 3 rows of shirring for 3 inches.  The shirt has been washed and ironed.  From this view I am happier with how the sleeve looks because you could see my whole shoulder before at the right angle. 



The original pattern ruffle piece ended at the first button which wasn't similar to my inspiration piece.  So I lengthened this considerably, but writing this up months later has it's disadvantages...I don' remember how long.  I also decreased the width of the rufffle by at least a 1/2 inch.  It was too big for my taste.

Otherwise I did not have to adjust the fit.  Adding that length of ruffle did add some time to the project as I didn't want it looking uneven.  The fact that the color wasn't a stand collar was an additional bonus.  I could make this again but perhaps just a sleeveless shirt, or maybe a longer tunic length would be nice for cooler weather.
 

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this shirt!!! Especially with your shirring modification... very nice.

    ReplyDelete