VI In the Kitchen

Cooking and baking are of a simplified version currently.  Extravagant meals with lengthy ingredients lists  don't happen often or only if we are having company.  As much as I enjoy it, my life schedule doesn't accommodate this.  And given a choice most often I would rather sew.  Besides I cook for those with very simple taste buds. 

Occasionally I am motivated to work a little harder for food.  Typically this doesn't happen in the summer as the grill offers some extra help from Devin.

Creating last week's grocery list left me uninspired about the week's up coming meals.  I needed my recipes.  Years ago when I had to cook for more than 3 I began organizing my recipes by taping them to paper and slipping them in protective sleeves and then in a 3 ring binder.  I pull a lot of recipes from on-line and  magazines and I was never inspired to write them out on recipe cards.  While  helpful, my original gathering of recipes was unorganized.  Six months ago I cleaned up, removed unused or terrible recipes and now have streamlined system which makes finding recipes easier.  I put similar recipes on the same page and gave myself helpful keywords one the top of the page for quick reference.
As you can see there are well loved recipes which weren't protected from spills long ago.

But back to my dilemma,I pulled several recipes for baking and cooking.  Sunday was my do or die day.  Either I was making them all or nothing was happening.  I made quiche for breakfast.  It's an easy recipe with a different combination from the norm which is why I first made it. I can add this recipe later if you are interested.  After church there were 2 muffin recipes I had held on to for too long that I wanted to make.  
First I made corn muffins using the Jiffy mix and added 1/2 cup of shredded zucchini and 1/4 cup of shredded carrots.  Both the zuchinni and carrots had been in the deep freezer long enough and I wanted to used these up before this year's crop of items are shared with us from from family. Next up, Morning Glory Muffins.  My first time baking these muffins and it will not be the last.  So good and all the tasty ingredients I love in my baked goods, apples, coconut, walnuts, raisins, & carrots.  I did add the remaining zucchini I had which didn't hurt one bit.  I freeze most of the muffins, as I said before, there are those with simple taste buds around, but my in-laws appreciate the goodies so I get to share with them.  

And last during my day in the kitchen was the labor of love: Chicken Enchiladas.  It took me between 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours and it will speed up with familiarity.  Thank you Katie!  I know you passed this recipe on from your SIL & I owe her a big thank you too.  I highly recommend these enchiladas: worth the effort! 

First time making my own salsa verde, it surpasses any imposter in a jar.  Devin and I have slightly milder pallet than Katie and I went with 1 jalapeno versus the recipe's recommended 6.  The flavor of the chicken and spices, delectable!  I substituted red, yellow and orange peppers I had waiting in the freezer too instead of the green and I liked this flavor.  In total that was probably 1/2 of peppers vs. the 1/3 listed. I will repeat this change again. 


In the future I will plan to either half the recipe or freeze the meat.  Since Devin and I are the only ones enjoying these, we had quite a few extra.  Does make for a great work lunch and I saved about 9 and froze them.  We'll see how this turns out when I'm lost again for inspiration. 
 

1 comment:

  1. It's definitely my most-involved recipe... but I cannot make them any other way now. It's so worth the effort! I'm glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete