Over the Christmas break with my family the word 'purist' was used often.
One might have been called a purist if Cool Whip was not used on rhubarb crisp.
One might have been called a purist if the ends of the bread could not be used for a grilled cheese sandwich.
I couldn't help think of the word while I worked to cover the wood trim in our bedroom a few weeks ago with Zinsser. I am not a wood purist. I experienced such a euphorical high when I lathered the wood with white and created a beautiful slate. I promise it wasn't the fumes I did use a good mask and ventilation! There were layers of green, purple & cream paints showing in different areas around the room that I have been waiting to cover since we moved in.
I'm grew up in a house with a wood purist. I watched my dad work for hours and hours to painstakingly remove layers and layers of paint. I had dreams of someday following in my father's footsteps and in my future home restoring wood to it's natural beauty as I had seen my father do.
That dream has changed with my adult self and I've been transformed into a lover of painted wood. I enjoy a modern look and painted wood lends itself to this in my mind and this house still needs that updating. I enjoy painting wood and my dad may cringe as I cover the wood but he still loves me and my non-wood purist ways.
No comments:
Post a Comment