Lets Talk Sewing

I've been filling my closet with clothing but I've talked very little about it - I'm using my free time to create.  Each time  there are a completed project I was ready to sew the next and not take time to write about it.

We have a new niece and I was determined to sew for her as I haven't sewn for any nieces or nephews.  My sister had made a request for a specific dress but I couldn't find the fabric or pattern to match but her request was easy to fill - laundry friendly, easy for dressing, and no ironing.  Enter McCall's 6386 and the perfect fabric.  Until she was given her name, her siblings picked Tulip as a nickname.  We still slip up and call her Tulip.


 
 


Pattern Description: Toddlers'/Children's Jumper, Tops, Skirt and Leggings

Pattern Sizing: 1, 2, 3

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, I sewed view

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.  Straightforward, although I applied the neck and armhole binding differently since this is a knit.  I refuse to slipstitch when I can serge.  I serged the neck binding which was folded in half and the topstitched this.  For the arm binding, I first joined with my machine and then topstitched again to finish the open end of the arm binding.  

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Great pattern with RTW look.

Fabric Used: Stretch Jersey from Michael Miller that was great to sew

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made? The back was a little wide for me and wanted to gap.  This was easily fixed by removing 5/8 at the shoulder seam on the back only. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes I would highly recommend if you need nice knit pieces for little ones.  

I had cut a size 2 but my niece is wearing 18 to 24 months so I sewed a 1 inch seam and shortened the neck and arm bindings to make it smaller.  There was enough fabric left to use the leggings pattern and made some capris.  Again I used a 1 inch seam and the leggings are not tight on her.  I have a picture but it’s stuck in my phone at the moment. 

Conclusion: The pattern will come in handy as she gets bigger and I want something quick to sew.

No comments:

Post a Comment