Rolled into one



My intent was to write a post for each these separately, and then create a pattern review too but that's just too much.  PR will have to wait. Trying to find the time and words for all of that now is cumbersome.  Lately  I’ve had a lot of energy for sewing and the minute I finish a project I’m ready to jump into the next one.

Most of my sewing has been focused on tops and it’s not for a lack of patterns for skirts, pants or dresses.  What has been lacking is a conscious effort.  I’m not sure where the breakdown happens but if I don’t make myself stop and pick out a different pattern, all that I sew are tops.  This has the put a dent in my dress collection.
In realizing this focus default I’ve been trying to be more conscious of what I pull when it’s time to pick the next project.  Another one of my other issues in project completion is my inability to accurately figure in the amount of time it may take me to complete a project.  Life can cut into completion times.

NL6097

I was nervous about the sizing and looked at the numerous reviews on PR but people had no major issues with sizing.  It is a fabulous pattern.   I did bring the waist up by an inch and could shorten it again another inch.  I would like to make the long sleeve version in the future.  I lined the skirt and that helps with the ease of wearing it. So quick and easy for the summer.  Should be a great transition dress in the fall. 


V1179


About a week before my niece’s baptism I decided I wanted a new dress.  With short time I knew I had to pick wisely.  This was a great dress to sew.  It was struggle to find a needle that liked this material. It’s a rayon knit although I thought it was an ITY knit.  One of the changes I did make was to cut bias strips for the armholes.  I don’t like turning and stitching with a 2 way stretch knit as I can’t get it to lay nicely around the under arms. 

V8879



This is a great cut of a shirt.  I cut a small and had planned to make sleeves a little shorter than the ¾ length due to limited on fabric, however I didn’t measure the sleeve width.  It was too so I chopped the arms off and was able to selvedge the arm bands.  I was able to sew the whole shirt using my serger.  I may topstitch along the lower band as the seam allowance wants to flip.  

One major error is that the neckband marks did not match.  When I first started trying to fit the neckband on I was so confused.  After several failed attempts at trying to make the neckband work and a day of separation; I pulled out the pattern pieces and found that the error thankfully wasn't mine.  Printing error instead.

I've worn this a few times and see a couple places to make adjustments.  It's worth my time to make the pattern fit me better as I can see this being a TNT knit shirt. 

S2215



I started this last year and then there was a problem with the zipper which involved ripping out a seam and so production came to halt.  Enter this spring and I wanted a new outfit for Bermuda.  Since I had this halfway done it was pretty quick to finish.  A 6 month break and lasts year's issue took moment to undo and redo.
I'm still working on getting used to the volume of the skirt.  I'm short on top - so a lot of volume starting at my actual waist tends to make me nervous. 

Looking at the photos it doesn't appear to be as bad as it feels.  I've been using the perfect matching sweater to help create balance.  I'm still working through body issues and the skirt continues to be in rotation.  of a problem My upper half is on the shorter side - although in the photos it doesn't look bad. 

The pockets are a lovely bonus.  

1 comment:

  1. The rayon knit dress is so gorgeous! I love the skirt, too, definitely worth finishing!

    ReplyDelete