With these clothes I was able to dress 3 new babies. Often my desire is to sew for new babies, but rarely does it happen in a timely fashion or at all. At the beginning of the year I had nothing urgent to sew for myself so babies were first of the year.
The pattern for the boy outfits has been sewn before. I sewed a newborn size and 0-3 months for the same baby. The pattern is familiar to me, and I enjoy how easy it is to move through the steps without having to refer to instructions. That's not common place with my clothes as I haven't sewn too many repeats.
These girl outfits went to my friends who had baby girls weeks apart so it made sense to make the same outfit. The tops are View E from M6103, size 0-3 months, which I shortened to a top. I made a view I from this pattern a few years back and I like the overlapping shoulder seams since it's common in RTW and can make dressing a wiggling baby a little easier.
I got creative with the front and back neck edges when turning the seam allowance wasn't going as smoothly as I thought it should. My original plan was to use the contrasting thread in the coverstitch as I did with the other hems. I cut a strip about an inch wide, serged it to the front of the fabric, and then wrapped it to the inside. The fabric strip was skinny and I had to be careful to keep the needles close to the middle of the strip. I cut off the remaining fabric for a cleaner finish.




Adorable!
ReplyDeleteso cute!!!!
ReplyDelete