Grossly Overestimate

Is that proper english?  Probably not but I'm working with it. 

Home improvement was on my list for the weekend.  Painting the front steps railing has been on the list for at least 4 years.  I conned myself into getting it done this weekend so I can then paint the front door. 

As I painted the first coat on the second rail yesterday I realized: I was so far off in projecting the time it would take to finish a project.  I mean really: how long can it take to finish painting an iron railing?  Well don't ask me, 'cause I'm far from done! 

Foolishly I had imagined that I would spend some of my Sunday afternoon finishing up the languishing skirt.

Unfortunately this is not the first time I've been guilty of overestimating my skills and time.  I'm all too familiar with that feeling of disappointment when I miss a projected deadline.  But I am learning to let those feelings exist for a moment and then let them go.  My personal expectations are high and I have only so much energy in one day. 

That acceptance of unfinished business was not always easy for me but I found myself in an unhealthy state of mind.  Not the place I want to stay, so I've changed.  Still haven't figured out how to fix the estimation errors, but that is a work in progress too.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I were there to help you! I hate starting a project and then realizing it's going to take FOREVER.

    You are being easy on yourself and using Universal spray paint, yes? It will take hours off your work... and you can use it on ANY surface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happens to me all the time. We decide to remodel our house, tear something out, and then it sits for 2 years, because we get stuck on one little step. :-) I imagine that railing takes a long time to paint, but I wouldn't have thought it at first, either. I agree....spray paint!

    ReplyDelete