Removing the Past

Long ago a decorating craze swept the nation. It was all the rage and people were slapping this stuff all over their walls including our kitchen and side entrance walls. This decorating phenomenon is known as Plastic Tiles. Yep, they put plastic tiles on the walls in the 50s and 60s.

I have been determined to find the safest and easiest way to REMOVE this fakeness from the walls.

The difficulty in removing the tile isn't actually the tile - these can pop off without a problem. What is underneath is the real offense. The adhesive used to attach the tile is thick and can't be chipped off.

The tiles were covered with paint a few years back, but that still hasn't cured my utter disgust for those ugly things and the goop that lies beneath. At some point I had resigned myself to the fact that removing was not an option but covering was the solution.

As Devin and I have been discussing kitchen remodeling again but with a determination to get it done my interest in finding a solutions was sparked. Not one to give up hope easily I searched on-line forums and board discussions this week regarding plastic tile.
The solution to my plastic tile problem was finally revealed: HEAT


The results after a few minutes of heat with the hairdryer were exhilarating!


The walls must remain masked for a tad bit longer but once I've completed the quilts for Margaret's Hope Chest the transformation will begin!

1 comment: