I've been busy around the house, cleaning up after Christmas and working on some artwork for the house. While making the quilt for the Luckett's I had all these ideas to add some interesting items for the walls. So my focus has been that, plus major cleaning that was ignored during the Christmas season!
I have been thinking about my next post - and the consistent theme that kept coming back was an update on what the kids are doing or have done recently.
DJ: After Christmas and an inspirational conversation with my mom, Devin and I have put a new eating phase into action. He now must eat whatever small piece of "healthy food" (his name for the foods we eat and he doesn't) we put on his plate. This new effort is very encouraging even with small set backs occasionally he can't hold the gag and a surprise ends the meal. A lot of positive reinforcement goes a LONG way. You would think there's huge party going on with all the hootin' and hollerin' happening in the dining room at meals. Kyan and Mia often get involved! He does very well and we're very proud of his efforts and achievements.
He is reading now and amazes both of us with the words he knows. Still figuring out quite a few and guesses on a lot with familiar looking words. He also will answer the phone, after a few silent answers, he now is better at saying "hello" when he picks up. He has a fascination with fire, and we've had many discussions about fire that started with not "wanting" a fire in our house to now "when" we have a fire. I'm just hopeful my discussions are sending the correct message. We don't EVER want a fire!!
Mia: Has gotten over her fear of fuzzies in the bathtub - SERIOUSLY - she couldn't sit down for fear that the fuzzy would get her. She now has developed a fear of the closet by their bedroom. She will scrunch herself in the bed by the wall and say she's "scarwed" (not sure if this is a theatrical fear or real; tendency towards drama). When I tell her she's fine - I'm wonder if this is a good answer, but what else would a wise parent say to reassure their child of a fear? She's very much a girl and loves to twirl for daddy when she's dressed, especially in her church clothes. She runs around the house in various shoes and swippers throughout the day and often with them on the wrong foot. She's an independent soul who often will fight for the right to "I do it!!" Recent favorite phrases of mine "Wast morning night" "Sure, sure" (in response to a request made by Devin or I) and there was one more that I can't remember now but made a mental note to write down the other day. I'll have to remember later.
Kyan: He's accomplished quite a bit in the last 5 weeks. He started walking last month, has 6 new teeth, 4 molars and 2 front, is saying quite a few words and imitates a lot of words we use. He is the eater that we have NEVER seen before. He hates it when a meal is done and doesn't pass up too much. He begs for the food that's on my plate or any food left on the table. He has entered the phase of making himself laugh, and is growling now. Over the weekend he was obsessed with the play vacuum, enough so that he would go up and down the stairs with this thing. A labor of love - I watched him work at it and he was very determined. I had to cut it to an end after he fell down the stairs with it. I know I'm a crazy mother who believes in letting actions (reasonable mind you) teach lessons - although parental intervention is often required to reinforcing those "life lessons". He continued to try and take the vacuum up and down after I told him he wasn't allowed. Thank goodness for 4 year olds who love to be another "informing" set of eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment